Tuesday 17 December 2013

tutorial: tupperware lid holder for the kitchen cupboard

After a few requests following this post, I've written a little tutorial on how to make a tupperware lid holder for the kitchen cupboard. It's pushed me to write more clearly than my regular, 'So now you need to grab the thingy and turn the whatsit around to the other side of the majig…' 

I hope it's helpful! 


A few things to note:

  • If something doesn't make sense, let me know in the comments and I'll respond and update the post. 
  • I've lost my material scissors, so I used chicken scissors instead… Lesson 1: Never use chicken scissors with material. Lesson 2: Hems cover a multitude of chicken-scissor-sins. 
  • Remember to remove pins as you go! (I've learnt this the hard way)
  • This tupperware holder isn't made to be beautiful, so I've used scrap material and thread. That said, it can be spruced up with some new, funky material and matching upholstery pins!   
  • The process really starts to make sense at about Step 7, so I'd recommend reading the steps through fully before you start.


What you'll need: 

  • Material
  • Cotton thread
  • Sewing machine
  • Pins
  • Material marker/chalk
  • Upholstery pins
  • Hammer 
  • Masking tape

STEP 1
Measure the height and width of the inside of your cupboard door. 





STEP 2
To get the right size for the backing of the tupperware lid holder (TLH), Take 10cm off the height and width of the inside of the door. This is so your TLH doesn't get in the way of shutting the cupboard door! 

E.G. If the inside of your door is 50cm wide x 70cm high, the size of your backing would be 40cm wide x 60cm high. 

Measure and cut the material to this size for your backing. 


STEP 3
Your pockets need to be the same width as the backing, but the height is up to you. In the example I've made, I did a small, medium and large pocket. Remember that you'll lose a cm from each side when you do the seams. Lets say you want the same as I've done and your backing is 40cm wide. Here's what I'd recommend:  

  • Small (snack lids): 40cm wide x 15cm high
  • Medium (lunch lids): 40cm wide x 20cm high
  • Large (picnic lids): 40cm wide x 30cm high 


***Remember to change the width to your own calculations!! 


STEP 4
Pin and sew a 1cm hem along the top of the backing and each of the pockets. 



STEP 5
Put the backing, and all pockets on a table in front of you. Make sure they are facing up (so they're showing their 'good side'). 

Position the pockets on top of the backing where you want them to go. Use a fabric texta to mark the backing where the bottom of the pockets will sit.  


STEP 6
Flip the top pocket over toward you. It will now be back to front and upside down. The bottom of the pocket (opposite to the hem you did in Step 4) should align with the mark you just drew on the backing. 

Pin it into place. 

Do the same for all other pockets. 


To attach the pockets to the backing, you now need to sew a 1cm seam along the bottom of each of the pockets, where you've just lined them up.


STEP 7
Once you've removed all the pins, you can flip the pockets back to their right way up. 

Again, pin the pockets to backing so they stay in place.


STEP 8
Turn the whole thing over so the pockets are facing down onto the table. Pin back a 1cm hem around the edges of the backing. Make sure you are also pinning the pockets over (this is how you make the edges of the pockets flush with the backing). 


Here's what it should look like from the front: 


STEP 9
Sew the 1cm hem where you've just pinned.


Again, here's what it should look like from the front: 


STEP 10
Using masking tape, position your TLH in the centre of the cupboard door. 


STEP 11
Hammer in place with upholstery pins. 


STEP 12
Make yourself a nice drink and put your feet up. You are done! 


Let me know how you go, I'd love to see what you make!

4 comments:

  1. This is the most unique and useful thing that I've found on Pinterest. Thank you so much!! I created one last night and need to make another one. Super job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawwww! Thank you! I'm so glad it's been useful (and that the tutorial made sense!!)

      Delete
  2. Just today I was looking at my lid drawer and groaning. I think this is the perfect solution and I am goin, to use upholstery material to make ita bit stiffer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to see it with upholstery fabric (I think that would work even better, I was just too cheap to buy any new fabric myself!)

      Delete

thanks for your comments, I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...